bybmg: Book Review: Hoodwinked

Book Review: Hoodwinked

/
0 Comments
I received an advanced copy of this book for the purpose of review. The opinions I share are all my own. See my disclosure statement.



I love reading a good book on motherhood, and Hoodwinked didn't disappoint. The full title is Hoodwinked: Ten Myths Moms Believe and Why We All Need to Knock It Off. Right off the bat, the title got me!  One funny thing about this book reading experience is that I'd never heard the word "hoodwinked" before, so naturally I had to look it up to see if it was actually a word.  It is!



Hoodwinked: To be deceived

As the subtitle states, the book takes the reader through ten myths many moms believe. Here are a few:

#1 Mothering Is Natural, Easy, and Instinctive 

"We don’t automatically know how to do it. We don’t always find it easy. Sometimes motherhood is the most frustrating work on the planet!" - Amen to that! After this realization, she provides some practical steps to overcome this myth.

#2 The Way I Mother Is the Right (and Only) Way

I'm usually pretty open to other moms' ways of doing things. Sure, I judge like I think we all have a tendency to, but I don't outwardly get too uptight about people's parenting choices. One quote from this myth that really stuck with me though is, "What does it do to our relationships with other mothers when we assert that there is only one God-approved way to deal with all aspects of parenting? It makes us erect fences where we could be building bridges instead." Isn't that the truth?

#3 I Am “Just” a Mom 

I've never been a believer of this myth in the first place, but the authors bring up Moses's mother and some good points to consider about your identity.

#4 Motherhood Is All-Consuming and All-Fulfilling 

One great point in this chapter was the importance of finding some great mom friends. I'm blessed in this area! There are a ton of good nuggets in this chapter! Put the Lord first and the rest follows.

I don't want to spoil ALL the myths, but there are some fantastic gems of advice and biblical truths in this book to back things up. The stories the authors tell are relate-able and their message is uplifting. I highly suggest giving Hoodwinked a read!



No comments:

Impact-Site-Verification: 574454573. Powered by Blogger.